Consumer Drone Training

Consumer Drone Training

There are two types of drone pilots consumer/recreational and commercial/professional. Depending on which one you are will determine if and what training you will need to fly your drone.

You do not need to carry out drone training if your drone falls into any of the below:

  • Toys below 250g or in C0 class
  • In C0 class with no camera, whether they are a toy or not
  • It is below 250g with no camera and no class mark, whether they are a toy or not

What Kind Of Drone Training Do I Need?

If your drone does not fall into the above list then there are two main drone training courses in the UK. These are the A2 CofC (Certificate of Competency) and the GVC (General Visual Line of Sight Certificate).

Depending on your drone weight, the operations it will be carrying out and the level of risk will determine which training course you need.

A2 CofC (Certificate of Competency)

The A2 CofC is more directed at pilots that use their drone for recreational use.

The table below gives a breakdown of the key differences between the A2 CofC and the GVC: